Contents: Jump to a Section
- 1 How To Use This List of Ways To Increase Organic Traffic
- 2 1. Content Creation and Strategy
- 3 2. SEO and Technical Optimization
- 4 3. User Experience and Engagement
- 5 4. Social Media and Online Presence
- 6 5. Analytics, Research, and Monitoring
- 7 6. Backlinks and External Engagement
- 8 7. Local Optimization and Listings
- 9 8. Email and Content Marketing
- 10 9. Miscellaneous Strategies
- 11 10. Local SEO Strategies
- 12 Conclusion on Ways To Increase Organic Traffic
In this article, you are going to discover over 100 simple ways to increase organic traffic to your website or web property that you can implement today.
We’ve complied this list based on many years of online marketing experience and offer the to you to explore and use. While this list is extensive, many of the items may require more research on your behalf or the assistance of a marketing professional.
- Google’s E-E-A-T is really important to rank well. Pay attention to this and follow the reference link below to Google’s page.
- Marketing Now can assist you with formulating an action plan for your specific business and website. Book a session here.
- Where appropriate, we have included reference links to free and paid resources.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. What this means is that if you click on the link and choose to make a purchase, I may receive an affiliate commission.
Let’s get started.
How To Use This List of Ways To Increase Organic Traffic
This article is a checklist rather than a how to. There is a lot of moving parts to marketing. Also, keep in mind that using just one or two of these strategies has the potential to move the needle massively.
INTERESTING NOTE: All Category images below are created using AI.
1. Content Creation and Strategy
- High-quality, engaging content – First step is to create a content plan. Easy to use a Google Sheet.
- Regular content updates – Schedule posts regularly, at least once a week.
- Long-tail keyword optimization – There is gold is finding highly searched keywords that your competitors don’t know about.
- Comprehensive, in-depth content – Create better content than your competitors to rank higher.
- Clear, concise, compelling headlines – Make your article scanable. Use one H1 only per page. Then H2 sub-headings.
- Storytelling in content – Make your posts and articles come alive. Everyone loves a good story!
- Interactive content (quizzes, polls) – There’s lots of plugins that can create polls and quizzes. Highly engaging for visitors.
- Case studies, webinars, workshops – These are really effective ways to engage your clients and prospects.
- Infographics, video content – Get visual! No excuses now with AI to create images and more. Category images created by AI on this page.
- Predictive search optimization – Sophisticated technique. Anticipating what your client might search for next.
- Shareable PDF guides – Create a lead magnet. Convert a doc to a pdf and use it to capture email subscribers.
- Data visualization in content – Use graphical images that explain data trends or information, such as charts, maps, or graphs.
- Consistent blogging schedule – Can’t say this enough! Post quality content regularly. Good SEO packages include this and do help!
- Develop a strong content marketing strategy – Get creative and create content your users and customers love. AI can help!
- Surveys and publishing results – Is your industry statistically driven. People love numbers.
- Affiliate marketing – Create additional streams of income by thinking laterally about your business. Book a session here.
2. SEO and Technical Optimization
- Website loading speed improvement – Check your page loading speed at Pingdom, Google Pagespeed and GT Metrix.
- Mobile optimization – Is your website mobile responsive? Does it ‘read’ well on a mobile? Mobile searches may dominate your industry over desktop searches.
- Schema markup implementation – This is technical, but simply gives search engines information as they like it for specific post types like recipes, articles, products, events and organisations. Read more at Schema.org
- Alt tags for images – Important for accessibility and for search engines. This is text that describes what an image is about.
- Sitemap creation: Most WordPress SEO plugins will do this. We use Rank Math Pro.
- Responsive web design – Similar to mobile optimisation, sometimes design elements can be restructured specifically for tablet and mobile.
- Voice search optimization – More and more people are searching with their voice, so keyword phrases may be more like how we speak ie questions or longer searcj phrases.
- HTTPS implementation – Install an SSL certificate
- Image optimization – Install a WordPress image optimisation plugin
- Local SEO strategies – There are many strategies for local SEO that Marketing Now implements for clients.
- Multilingual website development – If your website has a worldwide audience, then translation of your site is a great opportunity ie Spanish, chinese
- AMP integration – Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) is an open source project created to improve the performance of web pages for mobile devices. The technology behind AMP enables lightweight pages that load more quickly for smartphone and tablet users.
- Regular backlink monitoring and cleanup – Backlinks are a key part of off-page SEO. Backlinks should grow naturally over time. Sometimes you may inherit spammy link which you need to monitor for. It is possible to disavow these links on Google tools.
- Descriptive, keyword-rich URLs – URLs should contain the main keywords to enforce the SEO importance of the main keyword(s).
- Meta data optimization for rich snippets – If your website listing appears as a rich snippet in the SERPs, its highly visible so people are naturally more likely to click on it versus other listings on the same page.
- Implement progressive web app (PWA) features – Technical and may not apply to most local business websites
- Google’s E-E-A-T principles –This is a MUST Read!
- Google’s mobile-first index – Google predominantly uses the mobile version of a site’s content, crawled with the smartphone agent, for indexing and ranking. This is called mobile-first indexing.
- Structured data for better indexing – Structured data is a way of organizing and labeling information on a webpage so that search engines can better understand its content.
3. User Experience and Engagement
- Internal linking – One of the most under-utilised SEO strategies and very important.
- User-generated content – Get users to submit content. Very effective strategy!
- User experience (UX) design – Web design must make sense. It should be intuitive and almost built for a child.
- Breadcrumb navigation – Helps user experience by easy navigating. Let’s users know where they are on your site.
- Call-to-actions (CTAs) – You must let users know what you want them to do on your site! IMPORTANT
- Engaging through comments and forums – Posting comments on blogs and forums can provide a backlink. DO NOT SPAM
- Live chat implementation – Chat boxes can be installed on your website to assist users faster.
- Heatmap tools for user behavior analysis: Lots of apps and tools to measure and record how users interact with your site.
- Accessible website design – Design your site so people using mobile phone, tablets or people with disabilities feel comfortable suing your site.
- Exit-intent popups – Last chance to capture a users details or CTA. When a user hovers over an exit button on browser, a popup appears with a message to engage further.
- User-friendly 404 page – When a page is not found, website serve a 404 error page. Add personalisation and customise the page to your brand and message.
- Implement live chat for instant engagement – You can also engage companies to monitor and engage with your customers via chat so the interaction is 24/7 and instant.
4. Social Media and Online Presence
- Social media platforms for content promotion – Some industries and niches work better on Social Media than others, however, if you’re creative, there’s always a way to promote your business, no matter what it is.
- Social media profile optimization – Set up your social media profiles properly. Follow the online guides on the site itself. Alternatively, Youtube or Google them.
- Social sharing buttons – Put share buttons on your blog posts to encourage your visitors to share them. WordPress has several free plugins or premium theme and page builders usually have fancy ones that you can configure easily.
- Online community participation – Try to be active in your industry community. Join groups relevant to your niche and comment. Other users will get to know you and you could do some business together. You can also position yourself as an expert by answering other members questions. Remember, each postive comment you post is a little nuggets that you leave behind ‘forever’ and will slowly add to your Google E-E-A-T footprint. Happy Days!
- Influencer marketing – Influencer marketing is a collaboration between popular social-media users and brands to promote brands’ products or services. These partnerships have been going on informally since the dawn of social media. Is there someone out there in your niche with a big following that can give your business a (paid or free) shout out!
- Strong brand presence – Having a strong brand is all about consistent and recognizable company expressions. There’s Here some effective ways to build brand awareness: Referral programs, impressive guest content, infographics, car wraps, freebies, social media contests and.. see more
- Integration with social media platforms – Social media integration will make your website more interactive and personal. After all, people like to buy from people they trust. By integrating social media with your website, you can show your visitors who you are and how you do business. It will also help you build a relationship with your customers.
- Online PR strategy – The goal of digital PR is to help brands enhance their online identity and visibility. Higher social mentions, backlinks, and referral traffic. Writing and submitting press releases are a great way to kick this off. Jeremy at Marketing Now can explore your opportunities on a free call. Book a session here.
- Affiliate marketing – Create additional streams of income by thinking laterally about your business. You would be the publisher in this instance. Book a session here.
- Real-time social proof – Praise on social media or positive ratings on review sites. Wisdom of the crowd: This type of social proof is when a large group of people endorses your brand.
- Leverage email signatures for promotion – Add a ‘Leave us a Google Review’ link to your email signature. Do it now… here’s The Simplest Way To Get More Google Reviews.
5. Analytics, Research, and Monitoring
- Keyword research – This is a huge part of our SEO strategy for local businesses here at Marketing Now.
- Competitor analysis – Once again, this is a huge part of our SEO strategy for local businesses here at Marketing Now. Book a session here.
- Google Analytics and Search Console use: Google Analytics Course for Beginners by Google
- A/B testing – Fine tune your advertising with 2 versions of the same ad. Usually done with paid ads, where the platform randomly serves 2 variations to see which ad gets the most clicks. Then it uses the better performing ad for the campaign.
- Seasonal trends and events monitoring – Depending on your industry and events surrounding it, some businesses can have big peak seasons. For most, Christmas is one of those times. Make the most of these with promotions and specials offers!
- Google Trends for content ideas – Visit Google Trends. This is a treasure trove of ideas to explore within your industry, customer demography and more.
- Use data and analytics to guide strategy – You may have great ideas, but the real litmus test is in the results data. Monitor page views, time on page, impressions vs clicks, keyword volume, popular page links and more on your Google Analytics
- Monitor site’s click-through rate (CTR) – Impressions vs clicks are important. If you are ranking well on SERPS, but click through rates are low, consider spicing up your SEO page titles and meta-descriptions. TIP: I like to put the business phone in the actual meta-description, so people, technically, could call you (especially on mobile) right from the Google search page.
- Building reputable backlinks – Acquiring backlinks naturally is the best way to go. By creating high quality, shareable content, others will link to you as a reference or resource. It is advisable to not buy backlinks, however there are exceptions.
- Guest blogging – If you can become a regular contributer or author on blogs in your niche, this will pay off in spades for your personal experience, expertise, authority and trust. E-E-A-T remember? (Reminder: read the google guidelines on this)
- Strategic content partnerships – Where a brand collaborates with a partner to gain promotion through content marketing. A lot of content collaborations are centred around writing digital articles such as guest blogs and sponsored content, but they’re by no means limited to this. Brands could choose to collaborate on infographics, podcasts, news stories, white papers, videos & more.
- Affiliate marketing – As a producer of goods or services you can play the role of advertiser in Affiliate marketing. This involves creating an affiliate program (or joining many existing ones) and signing up affiliate (publishers) to promote your product or service. In return, you pay them a fee, usually as a percentage of sales. Affiliate programs can increase your sales, develop your brand, and generate interest. Try these programs: ShareASale,
- Outbound links optimization – Outbound links are links that you create on your website and point to other websites. They are also called “external links.” The primary benefit of outbound links is building page authority and trust with your readers by giving them further information about a topic.
- Sponsoring local sporting and community organisations – Helps Google know your a real business. This is grass roots E-E-A-T. You may also get new business directly from the club or organisation.
- Build a network of industry influencers – A great way to do this is to interview industry influencers and put the interview on your website. Mention their name and link to their site or SM account. This builds credibility for you too.
- Host or participate in local webinars and online conferences to gain backlinks – This is great networking too!.
- Collaborate with local educational institutions for .edu backlinks – .edu backlinks are very valuable as they are a credible source. Explore school communities ie sponsor newsletters, volunteer or giveaway freebies. Universities have all sorts of interest based clubs, sporting, gaming, debating etc. Which club aligns with your business?
- Write guest articles for local news sites or blogs – ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS YOU CAN DO! Just do it!
- Create local industry-specific guides that local sites would want to link to – You are allowed to step out of your core niche. Create a local guide for the suburb or area your business is in. It doesn’t matter if its not directly related to your core business. Idea: 10 Fun Things To Do In <My Business SUBURB>. If you want to go for gold, create an infographic or image on your favourite photo editing software.
- Engage in reciprocal backlinking with complementary local businesses – While reciprocal links (swapping) are not what they once were many years ago, if you can negotiate a good position for link back to you on your complimentary local businesses website, you may get some actual direct clicks from that site. Don’t count on a whole lot of backlink juice.
7. Local Optimization and Listings
- Google My Business optimization – GMB is now called Google Business Profile GBP. If you are local to a suburb or city and people search for “Your Profession Your Suburb” eg Dentist Mornington or Plumber Chadstone, then GBP is very important for you. If you see “Claim this business” on your GBP, then you need to fix this. We provide a full GBP setup and optimisation service. Call Jeremy at Marketing Now or Book a session here. Don’t miss out – This is low hanging fruit.
- Local listings updates – List on local directories and keep them updated. Your Name, Address & Phone (NAP) should be exactly the same across all listings.
- Schema for local businesses – Advanced strategy. Add a local business schema to your relevant pages.
- Utilize hyperlocal keywords for extremely targeted SEO – Adding locally know names to your website content will help Google to identify you and your business as local to a particular area. Eg add street names, park names etc to your copy.
- Engage with local events and sponsor community activities for local brand visibility – Alternative to sponsoring a club or organisation on an ongoing basis, try sponsoring a single event. Get backlinks from the event website, mentions in press, printed material and networking at the event.
- Create location-specific landing pages for each area your business serves – This can be an effective strategy, however you should avoid duplicate content. Make sure you create internal links. Beware, you may get ‘keyword cannibalisation’ where several keywords on pages on your site competes with each other. This strategy works well but need to be set up correctly. At Marking Now, we set this up well and have many clients ranking well for their key suburbs.
- Partner with local influencers to increase local brand awareness – Similar to online, social media influencers, find real people in your local area. Local sports heros, locals featured in media or other business owners.
- Use local online directories beyond Google My Business for wider visibility – There are a tonne of local directories, yelp, truelocal, yellowpages and more. REMEMBER: Keep your NAP precisely the same!
8. Email and Content Marketing
- Email marketing promotion – Don’t rely totally on Google for traffic. Building an email list is a very powerful strategy. Statistic show that lots of sales are made after the 6th or 7th ‘touch’ that a customer makes with your business. Email is perfect for building your brand and trust.
- Content marketing strategy – Create great content! High quality content will stand the test of time. Make it unique too. Put your spin on it as well. The best and most simple idea is to create a spreadsheet with a list of article 50+ titles that are helpful and of interest to your users / customers. You should also consider keyword research in compiling this list as you want to remain relevant for what your customers are actually search for. We excel at this and we plan content for our SEO clients. See our monthly SEO packages.
- Exclusive content for subscribers – Give users a good reason to subscribe to your mailing list. Why would someone sign up? What benefit will they receive from you?
- Send a regular Newsletter – Your customers ARE interested in what you do, if they’re paying you for your services. Find a way to make your news interesting. Professional services can offer industry updates and industry news (ie compile what’s happening in your industry and give your clients a summary update) Feature customer testimonials, a link to your recent article or post, important dates, upcoming or current offers. Keep in short though. Newsletters don’t have to be big. One article with a link to your site, a customer reaction/testimonial, an announcement and/or perhaps one other simple thing. Use the K.I.S.S. principle!
9. Miscellaneous Strategies
- Offering free resources or tools – Like this FREE tools (NO sign up)… Free backlink checker, check the domain authority of your website, SSL Certificate checker and this fantastic post – 19 New SEO Techniques.
- Hosting contests and giveaways – These have the potential to go viral. SaaS like Viral Loops and KingSumo can help you to leverage an manage these types of campaigns.
- Content calendar development – Get serious about your content and create a calendar to schedule regular posting of content to websites and social media.
- CDN use for speed improvement – CDN stands for Content Delivery Network. It’s to do with the hosting of your website and having copies of your web files on several data centres around the world. So when a local user is using your website, in say London (and you’re based in US) the CDN will have a copy of your files on a European server, so the distance is physically closer to the user accessing yoru website. It translates to faster loading speed of your website worldwide depending where your website visitor is accessing your site.
- FAQ section creation – FAQs are great! Everyone has questions about everything. Create an FAQ page or a FAQ section on a main page of your site. Google may pick up the answer to your question and put it in a featured snippet or a People Also Ask question. Great for trust and authority!
- Podcast hosting or guest appearances – Podcasts have made a serious comeback in the past couple of years. Its a great thing to do, but involves time and equipment. Not for everyone, but you can get massive payoffs for yrou efforts.
- Skyscraper Technique for content – The skyscraper technique is an SEO link building tactic that involves finding competitive content other sites link to, creating something better, then encouraging sites to link to you instead. Website owners want to link to the best possible resources.
- Retargeting strategies – You can add pixel tracking to your ads and capture visitors that see your ad or visit your website. From there you can retarget them with specific ad PPC campaigns.
- Develop a robust online PR strategy – I write press releases and I use them often to great effect. If you would like to know more, book a session here and I’ll walk you through this wonderful strategy.
- Leverage browser caching for faster load times – This is part of technical SEO. There are some paid and free plugins for WordPRess that do a wonderful job of this, right out of the box.
- Implement a responsive web design – Responsive Web Design is important for user experience and Google notices if your website is “sticky” ie do users hang around for a while or just bounce right off. As mobile searches now exceed desktop searches, making sure your users have a good experience on your website with a mobile is paramount!
10. Local SEO Strategies
- Create local-specific content that addresses the needs and interests of your local community – ‘Walk the streets’ and get the beat of your locals. You may be able to infuse a non-business related need or interest of the local into your sales or marketing systems. Think freebies, giveaways, bonuses. Free movie tickets to the local cinema. Keep it very local!
- Use social media to target local audiences with location-based promotions and updates – This works for some businesses and no so much for others. Social media PPC (Pay Per Click) advertising can be tricky to set up efficiently. Contact us.
Conclusion on Ways To Increase Organic Traffic
Successfully increasing your website’s organic traffic is a multifaceted endeavor, requiring a blend of creative content strategies, technical SEO optimization, user engagement, social media presence, and much more. This comprehensive list of 102 ways to increase organic traffic is designed to provide you with a roadmap to enhance your website’s visibility and attract more organic visitors. Whether you’re focusing on global audiences or local communities, these tactics are scalable and adaptable to your unique business needs.
Remember, the key to success in boosting organic traffic lies in consistent application and continuous improvement. Stay updated with the latest SEO trends, engage actively with your audience, and always aim to provide value through your online presence. By implementing these strategies, you’re not just driving traffic; you’re building a community and establishing a strong, enduring online presence. So start implementing these strategies today, and watch your organic traffic grow!