If you are creating a website or working on a site you’ve already created, the website content of the site is one of the most important factors for successful search engine optimisation. The pages you create should provide valuable information that references specific terms and concepts unique to your website.
Text is one part of the content that is important for being found in search engines. Search engines usually read and index each page they successfully crawl. The text within that span of words is one factor that helps to determine your relevance for a particular search term.
Write Content For Humans, Not Search Engines
If you are successful at weaving your keywords into compelling copy (remember, humans are your primary reader), you are more likely to be relevant for keyword searches. Once your site has been up and running for three months, run a report to determine what keywords people are using to find your site.
You might be surprised if the most popular keywords that do find your site don’t match up to keywords you already had in mind and were using. The web is a great educator about how to succeed. Your site might be very popular for search terms that you hadn’t thought of when you built it.
When people use search engines, they aren’t typing in generic terms that are hard to define and measure like “business” or “software.” People use search engines for very specific names and phrases, such as “Inkjet printer cartridge refills.”
You wouldn’t have thought to include that specific phrase in your content because it doesn’t read very well. But if all those words are located on a web page carefully constructed to highlight keywords that are known to produce traffic, the likelihood that you will appear in a search result for a very specific search improves.
Research What Website Content Your Users Want
You must be diligent in understanding how people are getting to your site and focus on providing quality website content that is geared towards the audience that is trying to find you. Be as specific as you can. You’ll improve the quality and quantity of visitors you get from search engines.
It’s also important to understand that you cannot trick search engines. Flooding the engines with multiple versions of the same page, repeating the same term over and over – these tactics will only lead to negative traffic from search engines and the likelihood that your site could be banned from being listed in a search engine.
We mentioned earlier that the text on your website was one part of the content that’s important for being found in search engines. Another important part of the equation is your link popularity. By focusing on quality content, your website becomes more likely to have someone naturally link to it without having to request it.
Ideas For Website Content
- List best options in a category and why
- List worst options in a category and why
- Things to do
- Things not to do
- 7 reasons… why? not to? you should? you shouldn’t?
How To Guides
- Eg: HOW TO Book a Band For Your Wedding Reception
- Eg: Best Ways To Pack a Dancefloor At Yur Wedding Reception
Trouble Shooting Guides
- What problems do your readers have with your products?
- Write a step-by-step troubleshooting guide
- How Do I Fix… XYZ?
- Great way to connect with authorities in the industry
- Helps to build backlinks to your site from site impressed with your content
- Builds PR and helps you to become part of your niche online community
Creating Website Content
Website users and customers of your business want good quality information. They want information that they can trust and rely on. If you operate a business, you might find yourself saying the same thing over and over to your new customers. This information makes for great website content and is ideal for creating blog posts or even website content for your main service pages, about page, or even FAQ section.
Another idea to find out what your customers what to know is to type your product or service into the Google search engine and check out the “People Also Ask” section. Then simply note a few of the top questions and then write a blog post or piece of content that answers these questions.
You can plan multiple pieces of content or blog posts at one time in a spreadsheet and schedule them to be written at an interval that suits you.
How Often Should I Post Website Content?
So, in case you are wondering how often you should post content to your website – Here is a rough guide or rule of thumb. Keep in mind we are talking about local businesses and smaller online shops here.
- Publish Website Content Once a Month: This is the minimum effort required to see some SEO benefit
- Publish Website Content Once a Fortnight: Certainly better than once a month
- Publish Website Content Once a Week: This should be your Standard Operating Procedure!
- Publish Website Content 2 – 4 times per Week: Well Done. You will be rocketing up the top 10 google ‘charts’
- Publish Website Content Daily: You already know the huge value in website content, and your site is already getting lots of traffic
- Publish Website Content Multiple Times per Day: You are not small; you are BIG! You have a content/marketing team, and you are reaping the benefits of huge amounts of traffic coming from multiple high-ranking targetted keywords.
If this sounds overwhelming, don’t worry. My advice is to start small. Write one 500-word post. You’ll be surprised how quickly you will be able to write this. Find an image to suit your post and upload it to your website. That’s it – you have started.
Now make a list of blog post titles. Remember “People also ask” section on Google. Assign a time next week to write the next post on your list. Before you know it, writing a blog post will become a simple also automated task, and your website content will grow and bring you lots of traffic – FOR FREE!